Sunday, December 30, 2012

The post-Christmas Christmas post

So I have been meaning to post for a long time because I have all these amazing Christmas crafts and recipes that I wanted to share.  But time got away from me.  I guess that's the holiday season.

Also, my dad has been sick with heart problems and a broken foot.  It's been so scary to see my dad in and out of hospital beds.  My dad has always been a big guy and has not lived a healthy lifestyle so a lot of this has been a long time coming.  Still though, that doesn't make it any easier to see someone that you love so much in a hospital bed or not feeling good.  I love my dad and cannot imagine my life without him.  It's been scary but he has been making some good food decisions and is excited to start exercising once his foot heals.

ANYWAY.  Here are some fun pictures of things I did for Christmas!


In my classroom, my students made these cute little reindeer fingerprint ornaments.  I have a million of these ornament bulbs so I thought I would use them up!  We used acrylic paint for the head, eyes, and nose.  (First graders love Rudolph so all of them were red-nosed reindeer.)  Do it in steps so that the paint completely drys.  I (and another teacher) did the reindeer antlers on all of the kids' ornaments in black Sharpie.  I am sure kids could do it themselves, we just didn't have the time.

Here's one of the students who decided a whole herd was needed.  It turned out cute!

So cute!



I can't claim this idea by myself.  I got it from here, and she totally takes a picture of each step so enjoy that from her.  Not me. 
http://www.littlebitfunky.com/2011/11/20-minute-crafter-reindeer-thumbprint.html

One of my favorite things to do at Christmas time is BAKE!  I think I made like 10 different types of cookies this year, 2 kinds of popcorn, 3 different types of bark, and a peppermint cheesecake!  I said I like baking right?!

Here are a few pictures of my favorites.
Hot Chocolate Cookies

Molasses Cookies



Here's a plate of my "variety pack."
Grinch cookies, Gingerbread, Swirl cookies,

Peppermint Swirl Cookies, Aunt Cindy's white velvet cookies

I'll include a few recipes and links, but I just can't share ALL of them or else no one would eat my stuff when they can make it themselves!

Peppermint Swirl cookies:  http://www.overthebigmoon.com/peppermint-kiss-sugar-cookies-and-santa-hat-cake-pops-guest-post-by-kinnas-kreations/
Grinch cookies:  http://pinlavie.com/grinch-cookies-mint-chocolate-chip/

Hot Chocolate cookies (recipe from Real Simple magazine)
1 1/2 c. flour
3/4 tsp. sea salt (or kosher)
1/2 tsp. baking power
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. unsalted butter
24 oz. (2 bags) of semisweet chocolate chips
1 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 mini marshmallows

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper.  (Definitely do this because the marshmallows get sticky.)
2.  In large bowl whisk flour, salt, baking power & soda together.  Set aside.
3.  Combine butter and 12 oz (2 cups) of chocolate chips in separate bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals until all melted.  Stir each time.  Cool slightly.  Then, add sugar, eggs, and vanilla to mixture.
4.  Add the flour mixture a little at a time.  Mix in remaining chocolate chips and marshmallows.  Don't overmix!
5.  Bake for 10-15 minutes.  Electric oven is like 12 minutes.  Gas oven is like 10.  Rotate sheets halfway in between.

All that cookie talk has made me hungry....I better find something to snack on!  I'm feeling pretty nostalgic about 2012 coming to an end so I am sure tomorrow I will post again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment