Monday, November 5, 2012

Running versus a runner

Today I am feeling a little overwhelmed by housing things.  Yesterday my dad (lead project manager....he designated himself) went over to my new house to get one cabinet door.  The sellers are still living there but we wanted to get the cabinets figured out.  My dad took a vacation week and spent the day experimenting with the cabinet door.  More on that later. 

Additionally, I really started to realize that I am going to LIVE in this new house.  Like all the time.  I will have to leave my house 3 minutes earlier for work.  All my running routes are going to need to be re-routed.  Khloe will need new dog-walking paths.  I have to SLEEP there.  And oh my gosh, I am going to have to buy EVERYTHING to stock a refrigerator and kitchen.  Do you know how EXPENSIVE that is going to be?!  I am not going to think about it.  Maybe I just won't eat. 

To add to my stress it now gets darker earlier because of daylight's savings time.  STUPID IDEA.  All day at school I was stressed as to how I was going to get my run in.  So instead of talking about housing, I will talk about running! 

I DID get my run in today.  7 miles in 66 minutes.  (I am not fast, I know!)  Before I dive into this running post, I want to clarify that I don't consider myself a runner.  Runners are those people who run a 6 minute mile and are really thin. 

In high school and college, I had very little interest in exercise, running, or sweating at all.  People that knew me in high school would never think I could or would want to run 7 miles.  By some strange shift in the universe, I joined the Y in spring of 2011.  I would usually go and do the elliptical.  I was quite happy with that and was seeing weight loss results and feeling better about myself.  Well then one day in December 2011 ALL OF THE ELLIPTICAL MACHINES WERE TAKEN.  CRISIS.  I didn't know what to do and was in a time crunch, so by some happy mistake I got on a treadmill and decided to walk.  Well after a while, walking got boring and I increased the speed.  I WAS RUNNING.  It was a miracle.  The next day, I tried it again.  And again, and again.  You get the picture.  When it got nice out I started to run laps around the soccer fields outside.  4 laps was 3 miles. 

And then my life kind of fell apart and I needed an escape, an outlet, something to take my mind off of things.  So I ran.  I ran and ran.  I cried while I ran.  I prayed while I ran.  I planned while I ran.  And sometimes I just ran with no thought at all in my mind.  I ran all summer, gradually increasing my mileage.  I even entered and won awards at several 5Ks.  Running provides a challenge, an escape, a way to accomplish something and I love the feeling of my heart beating out of my chest.  Running provides a lot of peace in my life.  I love running.  Never would I think that those words would leave my lips.  Still through all of that, I don't consider myself a runner.  I just run.  It's my therapy and peace and time for me.  I love it.

For anyone who wants to try running, I think you should.  It doesn't matter how far you go or how fast (or slow in my case....) you run.  It's about doing it and finishing.  No matter how slow I run or how much I am dreading it, that feeling as I take off my iPod and get a drink of water never changes.  It always surprises how GOOD I feel.  Almost like,this is what I was meant to do.

I am nervous as the winter months come....I love running outside.  I hope I can keep up with it.  I have bought some cold weather running gear and am hoping that keeps me motivated.  I must mention the pants that I found at Target that are simply ah-maz-ing.  Running pants by Nike cost like $60+.  I found these at Target for $27.99.  I have bought 2 pairs.  I love how they fit, how they keep me warm (but not too warm), and I love that they make my legs look skinny!

Here's the link for the pants....you just might fall in love with them and become obsessed with finding more pairs.  I am currently on a nationwide search for size mediums. 

http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-women-s-cold-weather-running-tight-black/-/A-14115161#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=c9%20by%20champion%20running%20tights

       

C9 by Champion® Women's Cold Weather Running Tight - Black

No comments:

Post a Comment