Sunday, November 18, 2012

Weekend 2


This was the second weekend we were in the house!  Dad has been working away at the house all week.  Isn't he great?!  I will upload more pictures soon, but it's not letting me again.  I am wondering if it's slow on Sunday nights because everyone else wants to upload pictures too.  Anyway....I'll let you know the progress!

Team members:  Dad, me, and Uncle Bill
*Uncle Bill is JUST wonderful!  Not only does he bring tasty treats, but he is super helpful and great!!  We got so much done because of him.

Projects completed this weekend :
-Colorful, children's fan taken down in the exercise room and sold!
-Brown fan above dining area taken down and moved to guest bedroom
-White fan from guest bedroom taken down and moved to exercise room
-Gold light fixtures taken down from hallway and bedroom and replaced with new silver/glass dome fixtures
-Chandelier hung over dining area
Dad & Uncle Bill hanging the dining light.  Dad was practicing sitting up and standing from the table as Uncle Bill held and adjusted the light.  It was rather comedic. 

-Almost all the trim is painted white in the bedroom.  The windows (yes they painted the windows the mauve color too!) might have to wait until warmer weather, because my dad doesn't want to paint them shut.
-Baseboard/kickboard in kitchen painted black
-Walls in kitchen are painted
-Cabinet "base" is painted (Not the doors though, does that make sense?  Doors are in process.  I am taking pictures of each step and am going to post all of those at once.)
-Refrigerator handle switched from the left hand side to the right hand side.  (DID YOU KNOW THAT CAN HAPPEN!?  It's just a freezer on top and fridge on the bottom kind and you can switch the handle and hinges so that it opens the other way.  Definitely an option for those that don't like the way your fridge opens!  Now people won't be able to see inside my fridge from the dining area/living room.  Which is good, I don't want people to steal my food!)
-New locks installed on front door and back door from garage to kitchen.  Still have one more to do on the very back garage door, but that entire door needs replaced.
Uncle Bill installing some new locks! 

-I did LOTS of moving.  I moved 3 entire carloads of my things.  I have occupied my bedroom here at my parent's house for the last 19 years.  And apparently I am a pack rat.  I cannot believe the amount of things I stuffed into that room.  And no I can't part with it all.  I think I threw away a few things, but for the most part this is stuff I want.  If anyone wants to go through my scrapbooks with me dating to the 5th grade, let me know.  You can come on over and I'll provide the wine!  My clothes are still at my parent's house as am I. The kitchen has been unpacked a little bit.  You can see the progress since the cabinet doors aren't on!  :)
My baking supplies!  Mom was thrilled that it cleared an entire shelf out of her cabinet!

My "open-concept" kitchen...

-Added sheet of thin sheet of stainless-steel beside stove where there was originally wood.  The wood would have made it hard to clean.  My dad just cut it according to size and nailed this on!  (Picture below)
Before

After!


I met the neighbors!  Well one of the neighbors, I already knew because I graduated with their son!  I re-introduced myself when he came into my yard with his lawnmower and leaf collector.  Yep, that's right my neighbor took care of all of my leaves in the front yard!  THEN, he got on the roof and cleaned out the gutters!  I didn't ask him to; he just did it!  How lucky am I?  I owe someone some cookies!  I also met the other neighbors who welcomed me into their home and whom I had a nice chat with.

We did have a slight hiccup.  Everything went so well with the lighting and the lock switching, but then we decided to paint.  I had this great idea to paint one of the walls and the adjoining hallway a nice plum color...purple.  The rest of the living room would be a nice slate grey.  I imagined it to be quite lovely.  WELL, sometimes things don't look the way we imagined them to be.  I picked a color that was dark purple but not too dark because I didn't want the hallway to look too dark.  The color was WAY TOO vibrant and bright.  It looked like a color in a sorority house bedroom (I know, I lived in one that was hot pink!).  We went to Sherwin Williams to see if they could make it more neutral and they couldn't.  Of course this makes me forget all of the GOOD things that happened this weekend and I am in tears.  I know it's only $27 of wasted paint, but still TWENTY SEVEN DOLLARS OF WASTED PAINT.  You know how they say don't cry over spilled milk?  Well I was crying over wasted paint.  My dad was trying to comfort me and offer solutions but I was just too upset to hear any of it.  I really don't like it when things don't turn out how I envision/imagine/dream of.  It's happened before and I am sure it will happen again but it is just a little crushing.
Dad painting the purple accent wall.  As soon as the paint went on he said, "Now THAT'S a color."  He continued for about 3 more minutes before I decided that this purple was no good. 


I know, Marjory, get over it.  Find a new color.  Paint it the same as the rest of the walls.  Just move on.  Get over it.  But.  I.  Can't.  I still want a plum/eggplant wall/hallway.  But I am still worried about it being too dark in the hallway.  I am thinking of going and getting those tiny little paint samples of plum and just painting in a few different places in the hallway to see how it looks.  Anyone else have any ideas or color thoughts?  How big of a deal is it if the hallway is dark?   

So right now we are at a standstill.  My least favorite thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment