Wednesday, June 12, 2013

13.1 X 2 =26.2

I'm baaaaack....

I know, it's been nearly 4 months since I posted last!  Life has been super busy!  The school year ended at full speed.  I think spring and summer time just makes you realize how dirty and unkempt your house is so my house has a million projects going all at once.  More about those things later....

Anyway, remember that New Year's Resolution of running a half marathon?  Well, I DID IT!  It was definitely one of the biggest accomplishments of my life.  Though I run quite often...  Though I truly love running...  Though I think about running all the time...I still don't see myself as a runner.  I never thought in a million years that I could run 13.1 miles.  But, I did.  

Me, running the 500 Festival Mini Marathon in Indianapolis.

That feeling of accomplishment, of doing something I never thought I could do, was extraordinary.  I loved knowing that all my hard work and God's giving me the ability to do this was the reason I crossed that finish line!  And did I mention I did it in 2:03:41?  Not bad for an IT band issue that plagued me since February 13th!!  

Well.....now I need a new goal....a new challenge.  26.2.  It's only double the 13.1.  I felt like death at mile 12.  I injured myself training for 13.1.  But what the heck?  26.2, why not?  

So new goal:  run a marathon.  I have been doing TONS of research on training plans, proper nutrition, stretches, injury prevention, etc.  I found a lot of great blogs with tons of info and inspiration.  But NONE of these bloggers are like me.  They all seem semi-professional.  They all seem like running comes so easily to them.  They all must have tons of time in the world to live, think, eat, breath running.  So I plan to document my non-professional marathon training and experience.  It won't be pretty.  It won't be easy.  It will just be real.  

I adapted my training plan from a friend's training plan for her marathon.  She worked with people at a local running store to develop this plan and one of her major goals was to run it injury free.  My major adaptations included:  1)  Starting at a higher mileage long run, because I was already running 10 miles once a week 
2)  Changing the longest run to 23 miles.  Most training plans that I saw only got to 19.  I just don't think that's enough for me.  I know that I mentally need to get closer to 26.2 than 19.  My boyfriend (a real runner) and I brainstormed and came up with weeks 11-17 based loosely off of other plans.  
Week
Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Total
1
6/2
12 mi L
Off
5 mi N
Weights
3 mi E
Core
Off
4 mi P
Weights
5K Race
24.1
2
6/9
14 mi L
Off
6 mi N
Weights
3 mi E
Core
Off
5 mi P
Weights
Swim
Core
28
3
6/16
12 mi L
Off
6 mi N
Weights
4 mi E
Core
Off
6 mi P
Weights
Swim
Core
28
4
6/23
14 mi L
Off
6 mi N
Weights
4 mi E
Core
Off
7 mi N
Weights
5K Race
34.1
5
6/30
15 mi L
Off
7 mi N
Weights
4 mi E
Core
Off
7 mi T
Weights
Napoleon Tri?/Off
33
6
7/7
16-18 mi L
Off
7 mi N
Weights
4 mi E
Core
7 mi N
Weights
Swim
Weights
5K/10K?
40.2-42.2
7
7/14
12-14 mi L
Off
Swim
Weights
7 mi P
Core
Off
7 mi N
Weights
Off
26-28
8
7/21
18 mi L
Off
Swim
Weights
7 mi N
Core
Off
8 mi N
Weights
5K?
33/36.1
9
7/28
12-14 L
Off
Swim
Weights
8 mi P
Core
Off
8 mi N
Weights
Off
B2TB
28-30
10
8/4
19 mi L
Off
Swim
Weights
8 mi P
Core
Off
8 mi N
Weights
Off
Aaron’s 5K
35
11
8/11
14 mi L
Off
Swim
Weights
8 mi P
Core
Off
8 mi N
Weights
Off
30
12
8/18
21 mi L
Off
Swim
Weights
8 mi P
Core
Off
8 mi N
Weights
Off
37
13
8/25
15 mi L
Off
Swim
Weights
8 mi P
Core
Off
7 mi N
Weights
Off
30
14
9/1
22 mi L
Off
Swim
Weights
7 mi P
Core
Off
7 mi N
Weights
Off
36
15
9/8
16 mi L
Off
Swim
Weights
7 mi P
Core
Off
7 mi N
Weights
Off
30
16
9/15
23 mi L
Off
Swim Weights
7 mi P
Core
Off
7 mi N
Weights
Off
Tri?
37
17
9/22
23? mi L
Off
Swim
4 mi N
Swim/Off
Off
Fort 4 Fitness ½ Marathon
40.1
18
9/29
Off
3 mi E
Swim
7 mi P
Core
Swim/Off
6 mi N
Weights
Off
16
19
10/6
15 mi L

Swim
Off
6 mi P
Core
Off
5 mi N
Weights
Off
26
20
10/13
10 mi L
6 mi
Core
Off
3 mi E
2 mi E
Swim?
Off
21
21
10/20
Columbus Marathon

















Looks pretty, right?  We will see how it goes....I am on week 2.  

Here's another way I plan to simply update on my real-person marathon training, I will fill in this chart each time I post as a quick reference of how this training is actually going!  
6/12/13
Week 2
Greatest Moment…A real girl’s great moments
This week my long run was 14 miles!!!  That’s the farthest this body has ever run.  Oh, at mile 13 I was starting to get bored.  I do believe I began to sing OUT LOUD.  Your welcome world. 
Worst Moment…A real girl’s worst moments…let’s be REAL
HOLY HOTNESS.  I have never run more than 6 miles in temps above 75.  This is new to me.  This stinks.  On my attempted long run on Sunday, I only completed 8 miles before nearly DYING. 
Training Schedule…A real girl only has 24 hours and 7 days a week
I am not good with being on time, schedules, rigid-ness.  The schedule is kind of stressing me out. 
Injury…A real girl gets injured sometimes…
My right pointer-finger toe (does that make sense?) is bruised under the toenail after my 14 miles.  Step on my feet and I feel as if I am going to die.  Right now, my knees (not just the right, the left too) are feeling a bit stiff….eek.   
Nutrition…A girl has gotta eat…
In an attempt to beat the heat, I am trying to wake up early to run.  How on earth do people make it through a long run?  I don’t have enough calories or water in my system…even after eating breakfast! 
Problems…A girl has always got problems…
-Staying hydrated on a run
-Heat
Insightful Moments…Somewhere on that road a girl has got to have some great ideas
I break up my course into “sections.”  My 14 mile run had 4 sections.  It makes it seem so much easier than 14 miles. 
Fashion…A real girl loves to look good while running
Still loving my Brooks Ravenna 4 blue and neon yellow shoes! 

Like I said, this is training for a marathon for REAL people. I am not a pro.  I am making this up as I go along.  The goal is to finish the marathon.  I don't need a certain time.  I don't need to PR.  (I just found out what PR means like 2 months ago.)  Just finish.  And maybe find something out about myself along the way.  

1 comment:

  1. You have inspired me to walk in the Bryan Fire Department: Blazin Race. Where do i sign up?

    ReplyDelete